Planning application search

Search for planning information

The Planning Online website provides details of current and historic planning applications.

Planning Online uses pop-up windows - please adust your browser settings to allow this.

Planning online allows you to:

  • View details of planning applications, appeals and enforcement cases.
  • View associated plans and documents, including officer's report and decision notice.
  • Search a weekly list of applications and decisions.
  • See recent planning history, property details, including maps and constraints.
  • Make comments on applications that have yet to be decided.

Commenting on applications

Any written comments you make about an application, by law, must be publicly available. By submitting comments using the online service you can:

  • Receive an instant email acknowledgement of your comments.
  • Ensure that your email address will automatically be removed from the information that is published on the website.
  • Track the application and receive email updates. You will need to register to use this facility.
Your comment will immediately be published on our website, including your name and address. For details of which of your personal details will be published, please see our commenting on planning applications page.

Making an effective comment

  • Make sure you comment on planning matters. For details of what you can comment on, please see our commenting on planning applications page.
  • Remember to include your name and address.
  • Don't make comments about the applicant or other interested parties.
  • Don't use the online comments facility as a forum to exchange views.

Receive updates by email

You must complete the registration form on the planning online website if you wish to:

  • Receive email updates as applications progress, or are registered.
  • Create your own search profiles and save details of searches.
  • Track specific applications.
To help you use the search options and features, please read the guidance notes from the related documents section.

Conditions of use

  • Plans, drawings and material submitted to the council (including public comments made in connection with an application) are protected by the Copyright Acts (Section 47, 1988 Act).
  • You may only use material which is downloaded and / or printed for consultation purposes, to compare current applications with previous schemes and to check whether developments have been completed in accordance with approved plans.
  • Further copies must not be made without the prior permission of the copyright owner.

Do I need planning permission?


Planning law is complex and we can only give basic informal advice via this website.

Some building works to single dwellings do not need planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

How do I find out if I need planning permission?

Go to the government's Interactive House tool on the Planning Portal website. The 'Do you need permission?' section of their website also contains plenty of help and advice.

New regulations – Single storey rear extensions

For a period of three years, between May 30, 2013 and May 30, 2016, householders are able to build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development.

If you wish to build a larger extension you must notify us, and provide details of the proposed development, as shown in the following form. The form also includes guidance on the process.

Householder development – Prior notification form

Please note that:

  • These new rules do not apply within Conservation Areas.
  • Any development must comply with all other limitations and conditions that apply to extensions allowed under permitted development.
  • The process does not remove the need to obtain other consents, for example, under Building Regulations and/or Party Wall Acts.

The Planning Portal also provides an application form and guidance note for this process.

Major developements

What is a major development?

Major developments include large buildings more than 1,000 square metres, and developments of 10 dwellings or more.

Viewing a list of current major applications

You can search for all major planning applications currently being considered, by using our online search facility Planning Online.
Once you have selected the link:

  • See Application Details.
  • In the Description Keyword box, type the words Major application
  • In the 'Status' box, choose the search criteria 'Pending Consideration' from the drop down menu.
  • Select ‘Search’ at the bottom of the page
Details of certain high profile developments are listed under Pages in the section.

Receive updates by email

You must register your details if you wish to:

  • Save details of searches.
  • Receive email updates as major applications progress, or are made valid.
  • Track specific applications.

Planning appeals

If you're an applicant and want to make an appeal against a planning decision, then you should contact the Planning Inspectorate at:

The Planning Inspectorate, Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN.

Can I appeal?

If you are the applicant, there is a right of appeal against most planning decisions taken by us.

You can appeal if:

  • no decision has been reached on the application within the statutory eight week period (13 weeks for major applications)
  • the application is refused
  • if we have granted permission but you disagree with any of the conditions that have been imposed.

Information on how to appeal is issued along with the decision notice in every case where a right of appeal applies.

There is no right of appeal for third parties (this includes neighbours) or interested organisations.

How much time do I have to appeal?

Appeals must be made within a strict time limit from the date of the decision as listed below:

  • Refusals of householder and minor commercial applications - 12 weeks from the date of the decision notice.
  • Refusal of advertisement consent - eight weeks from the date of the decision notice.
  • All other application types - six months from the date of the decision notice.
  • Appeals against non-determination within six months of the expiry date of the application

How are appeals dealt with?

  • Householder and minor commercial appeals: This is an expedited appeal process for householder, advertisement, and minor commercial applications. Third parties do not have the opportunity to make further representations to the Planning Inspectorate.
  • Written representations: This is the most common method and involves written submissions from the person making the appeal (appellant) and us. Third parties can also make comments to the Planning Inspectorate.
  • Hearing: This type of appeal involves an informal discussion of the issues, which is lead by the Planning Inspector following written submissions. Third parties can also make representations to the Planning Inspectorate.
  • Public inquiry: This is the most formal of the appeal processes and is usually reserved for cases that are complex, controversial or need witnesses to be cross examined. Third parties can also make representations to the Planning Inspectorate.

Have your say on appeals

If you made a comment about the original planning application, it will be sent to the Planning Inspectorate.

If you would like to comment on an appeal, send your comments to the Planning Inspectorate within five weeks of the start date of the appeal.

Please note - for householder and minor commercial appeals you do not have the opportunity to make further comments.

Viewing appeal documentation online

Some appeals and documentation can be viewed online, see the Planning Portal website.

Building regulations

New building regulation application fees from 1 April 2014

We have been able to limit any increases to a small inflationary amount and are pleased to have been able to freeze the charges for the most common stand-alone improvements that you may be carrying out to your home.

Where you opt to pay your full plans fee in stages, this figure will now include a small charge to cover the additional administration and invoicing costs involved. If you wish to avoid this cost then you can choose to pay the fee in full when you submit the application.


Building control is concerned with the health and safety of people in and around buildings. We make sure buildings are constructed in a safe and stable manner, comply with energy conservation requirements and have suitable access and facilities for building users.

The Building Regulations and Standards Team will help you through the process of complying with national building standards.

Building regulations fees

You can pay fees by telephone on 0117 9223298, as well as online and by cheque.

We are always happy to discuss and offer pre application advice, free of charge. Please contact us on 0117 922 3000 with your details and a surveyor will phone you back shortly afterwards.

Submit applications online

You can either:

You can then:
  • Pay your building regulation inspection fees at pay council bills, fines and permits online.
  • Telephone 0117 922 3298 - please have your credit or debit card ready. If you choose to pay by credit card, an additional charge of 1.8% will be added to your payment. No extra charge is made for using a debit card.
  • Send your fee by post (cheques/postal orders made payable to Bristol City Council).
Please note that if you intend to pay by telephone:
  • You must know the amount to be paid before calling.
  • Payment times are between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Thursday on Fridays between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
  • The payment line is just for payments and not for any other type of enquiry.
You can send your documents in the following formats:
  • Microsoft Word (.doc)
  • Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf)
  • Microsoft Excel (.xls)

Building standards services

Dangerous structures

A 365 days a year, 24-hour emergency inspection service. The team has emergency powers to make sure that buildings or structures posing a risk to the public are made safe. Find out about dangerous structures service.

Building regulations

The examination of submitted building regulation applications. Carrying out construction inspections to make sure that the regulations are met on site.


On a day-to-day basis building regulation enforcement is carried out on an informal basis.

Pre-application advice

Free advice to developers of major schemes.

Structural engineering service

To examine building regulation applications in relation to structural issues. Inspecting work on site along with with normal building regulation inspections.

Safety at sports grounds

The service is a statutory consultee under safety at sports grounds legislation and is represented on the 'Safety Advisory Group' (SAG).

Control of demolition

Where conducting demolition works there is a statutory requirement to serve notice on us. This team serves counter notices that contain requirements to ensure safe demolition and ensures that neighbours and other interested parties including the utility companies are consulted. Find out more about the demolition of buildings.

General advice

Free advice is available about the Building Regulations including exemptions that do not require an application. Various leaflets are constantly being reviewed and are available from within the pages in this section along with frequently asked questions.

Party Wall Act

We cannot advise about general party wall issues. The Chief Building Control surveyor as Appointing Officer under the Act can appoint a third surveyor where two surveyors cannot agree.

Customer satisfaction survey results

These are the highlights of the survey done in October 2013:

  • 93% of respondents were either very satisfied or quite satisfied with the overall level of service
  • 100% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed that the Building Control officers were helpful and courteous
  • 100% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed that the Building Control officers were knowledgeable
  • 82% of respondents thought the plan checking process was timely with 18% neither agreeing or disagreeing.
  • 100% of respondents had no difficulty with the site inspection booking system
  • 97% of respondents finding the application process straight forward
We will re-run the survey again next year however if you missed the opportunity to respond or have any feedback on our services in the interim, you can use our general survey form.

Straight...Council Information on

Did You Know...Apply for it

Adult Learning

Adult Learning

See the list of courses or search for a course. You will need to register to see prices and to book. You can also view our full colour course guide, then return here to make your booking online.

Free School Meal

Free School Meal

New free school meals applications can be done online using our eFree School Meals service. Submitting your application online has numerous benefits over a paper form.

Join the Library

Join the Library

You can join online on the Libraries West website. Once you have joined, you reserve items from the catalogue straight away. To borrow items, use the library computers.

Council News

Subscribe and receive the latest news every month